Monday, July 30, 2007

My personal Victory Garden



Grandma only had one story from World War II, and it involved she and my great grandma ripping up the front yard to plant carrots. I didn't get it. I thought "geesh, that's what grocery stores are for," and cataloged it into the cheapskate grandparent bin along with all the crumpled pieces of aluminum foil in their kitchen drawer and washing and reusing plastic bags.

I've since changed my tune. I saw this stat on Treehugger.com "For the average American meal [...], World Watch reports that the ingredients typically travel between 2,500 and 4,000 kilometres, a 25 percent increase from 1980 alone. This average meal uses up to 17 times more petroleum products, and increases carbon dioxide emissions by the same amount, compared to an entirely local meal."

Hmmm. Grown at home equals good for the planet. It's worth a try. My first step was to join a farm co-op. For about $200 I bought a half share, which means I get several bags of in-season produce that's grown about 40 miles from my house, from late may until the end of September.

It's the best thing I've ever done. My farmers, from Paige's Produce in Steubenville,OH, are the nicest people. I really enjoy seeing them every week when I pick up my food. And the food is 1000 times better than any produce at the local grocery. It's bred for taste, not the ability to sit for 3 days in a freight car and not bruise.

The farm also turned out to be less expensive. I thought $200 was a lot of money at first, but it's turned out to be a great value. I get a lot more vegetable for my money; it's actually cheaper than buying from the grocery every week.

But then my hubby and I decided to take it a step farther and plant our own garden. Our goal was to grow enough to live off our own vegetables and the co-op vegetables for the whole season, without having to buy any from the grocery.

Amazingly, we're almost to August and it's worked!

We spent about $20 on plants-- 3 zuchinni, 6 cherry tomato, 6 roma tomato, 2 green pepper, and some strawberry plants. We also bought some seeds for mixed field greens and cilantro.

Well, none of the seeds sprouted, but the rest are pumping out veggies. We can hardly keep up! The zuchinnis have just about run their course, producing more than 15 giant fruits so far this season. We made them into bread, into a pasta sauce, and have grilled them. We've also, of course, foisted the extras on unsuspecting friends. The cherry tomatoes have produced for about a month. We pick a large cereal bowl full every week. We'll probably have enough to get through the summer. We've had about 4 green peppers and the roma tomoatoes are about to turn pink. They make great sauce, and there looks to be enough fruit to make sauce this summer and have enough left over to can for winter use.

We're eating food grown within 100 miles of our house, so it requires less gasoline for transporting. It's not only a good move environmentally, it's good financially. For a minimal investment, we get a lot of high-quality produce for very little money.

All this from three small patches of dirt. We grow the green peppers and tomatoes in two small flower beds on either side of our house, and we grow the zuchinnis and strawberries in one of the front flower beds.

Just think how much I could grow if only I could tear up the whole lawn, like grandma...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Because I have a little trouble conceptualizing metric measurements, I converted your kilometers to miles. It appears the ingredients for the average American family dinner travel between 1553-2485 miles.

Related to that, I saw an interesting question posed recently: if you had a choice between the organic broccoli that was grown in California (and you live in the East) or a head that was grown locally in a non-organic way, which would you choose?

These are the kinds of questions I find myself faced with since I started trying to make conscientious, responsible consumer choices. I'm discovering it's not always as simple as it would first appear. You, fortunately, are finding a way around that particular dilemma by growing your own vegetables. I have started to do the same, here on my little half-acre in Northeast Georgia. Like you, doing what I can, a little at a time.

I've been happy to note that my locally grown choices here (both CSAs and farmers' markets) are expanding yearly, so I can supplement what I don't have time or space to grow myself. Somebody must be supporting these suppliers for their number to be growing, and that's a good thing. I guess this is how change is going to happen if it's going to happen at all -- in our food supply as well as in our supply of other goods and services -- one local choice at at time. I believe these kinds of individual choices -- like the ones you're making -- can have a big collective impact. I hope so.

There are a few things I can be sure of: the tomatoes and beans I've grown out back have been plentiful, cost very little to grow, taste incredible, and are as full of nutritional value as they are of flavor. All the vegetable waste goes into the compost pile which in turn helps fortify the garden soil, and I always save a few seeds to plant next season. Can't beat that.

I dig what you're doing at your place and the fact that you're making the process transparent for the rest of us so we can learn from your experience and observations. I dig it so much, I blogged about you, recently, and will be adding your blog to the resource pages on both of the sites I edit, greenremodel.net and ranchrevival.com, so that I can direct our visitors to you.

Best,
Jen Wolf
Editor,
greenremodel.net, ranchrevival.com

DeniseT said...

Thanks so much for your kind, encouraging words. I had just decided a while back that if you want change, you have to do it yourself first.

There is a wonderful CSA site, LocalHarvest,org. That's how I found my co-op farm.