Wednesday, November 7, 2007

How many earths does it take to support your lifestyle?

I ran across this fabulous Web site yesterday. It allows you to calculate how many earths it would take to sustain the world's current population if everyone lived like you. Fascinating stuff. I read the results of some folks who were using up 20 earths!

That couldn't possibly be me, I thought. We live in am odest house (1400 square feet), drve one car-- a 1997 Honda Civic hatchback that gets 35+MPG), grow a lot of our own vegetables in the summer, don't eat meat often, use rain barrels, work from home as often as we can, and recycle every last scrap of anything vaguely reusable.

I was smug for a minute until I realized that my total was a still 3.7 earths. Geesh. How much more do we have to do? I guess that's just another reason to keep greening the eco-ranch!

See what your score is. Feel free to post a comment about it. I'd love to hear your scores, too!

Here is the quiz

1 comment:

Unknown said...

2.4, but if we gave up coffee and alcohol (not gonna happen...), we could get it down to 1.9. Even if we did that, the food category is still our biggest contributor, and I'm vegetarian + some fish.