Thursday, November 13, 2008

The earth friendly(er) laundry room




I am planning a significant cleaning and makeover of our laundry room. Nothing hard core, just cleaning out all the junk (it's a catch all), moving the washer-dryer, building a folding table out of a vintage 1950s vanity I got for free, and throwing some paint on the walls and some fabric to hide the storage racks. Hubby decided to throw his two cents in.

"I want more drying racks" he said.

Currently we use two large wooden drying racks. They take up A LOT of room. So much that we don't have room for anymore, and I really don't want the precious space I am making by cleaning the room out to be used for more racks.

So, after a little research, I found a solution. A handy wall mount retractable line. Good for the earth, out of the way.

If the budget allows, I may also trade in my current washer for a front-loading model, as I understand they are more energy and water efficient.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool! I'll have to consider something like that for us, for rainy/cloudy/cold days when the sun isn't enough to do the job outdoors. We've got a wooden rack, too, but it's not enough for a whole load.

Front loading washers are not only more energy and water efficient, they get clothes cleaner, put less wear and tear on the clothes, and get clothes drier before they go on the line or into the dryer, saving energy there, too.

DeniseT said...

Looks like I really need a front-loading washer.

Garreth said...

That's a great looking clothes drier!