Sunday, March 16, 2008

A composter...finally?

I think I have finally decided on a composter. It costs about $150, is round, and in addition to compost, produces and collects compost tea that you can use to fortify your veggie garden and your houseplants. Next week, come payday, I'll see if we have enough left over after bills to order it.

Also, I saw an awesome article in the NY Times about backyard orchards. It really spoke to me because I have often looked out my back window at all the weird, useless shrubs I inherited and thought of pulling them out and planting something that will produce food. I am really getting into the idea that I should turn as much of my landscape as possible into agriculture. And my backyard would be a great place for some dwarf cherry trees and some raspberry bushes. I can almost taste the pies now.

On that note, I realized that my ambitious veggie garden plan will have to wait until next year. To pull it off this season, I would have had to start the seeds already. And considering I'm a bout 38 weeks preggo and could pop at any time, and completely exhausted as a result, it just didn't happen this year. Boo. At least I still have my farm co-op to look forward to. And, now that I have a plan, I can really spend the summer getting my garden beds in tip top shape.

3 comments:

Mika said...

How fun! I have wanted to get one for a long time because we do a lot of growing and planting in our yard. I may just have to break down and do it. :) Good luck with your plans.

Jennifer said...

I can't believe I didn't think of that before... we need to plant all sorts of shrubs to landscape our yard. WHy not huckleberries and blueberries and such! THanks!

DeniseT said...

I am determined to only plant things that can feed me!