Friday, July 18, 2008

Economics of green home improvement

I told y'all about the recycled metal dream room: Price tag $22,800. Well, the quotes came in for a 30 year traditional asphalt shingle roof: $7,900. How can greener options compete when there is such a price differential?

Even I, who make an effort to go green, have to pick the traditional option. As much as I hate the thought of all my current shingles going to the landfill, I feel I have no choice. I need a new roof and simply can't afford the green one.

Oh well, that will mean less time to save up for those solar panels!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, even taking into account the longer life of the green roof, I'd probably make the same choice. Fortunately most green building costs about the same as the non-green, but this is a pretty unbalanced equation.