Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wal-Mart and plastic bags

I (gasp) went to Wal-Mart last night. Not my preferred shopping venue, but when I need things like shampoo and bubble bath, I stock up there because it's soooo much cheaper than anywhere else. Hey, if you are going to upgrade a 1957 ranch to energy super-star status, you need to save money to do it.
Anyway, I have reusable shopping bags-- even a couple of the Wal-Mart kind.The problem is they are impossible to use at WalMart. The way the bagging center is set up, the cashier has to bag your stuff, there isn't even a place for you to bag if you want to. And, there is no way to even set up your bags so the cashier can use them. It really bothers me, because I know every time I shop there, I am going to end up with a dozen plastic bags, many with only one item in them. I did ameliorate the too little stuff in one bag problem by transferring items from one bag into another, loading them up as much as possible before the cashier turned the bag turnstyle again.

On other fronts, the composting is going well. I still have yet to get any compost out of the thingee, but mostly because we are always throwing more in. I know it's working because the composter isn't even half full and we have thrown sooo much in there. If it weren't decaying, I'd say we'd filled it 4 times over all ready in volume of items. It feels nice to know that isn't going into the local landfill, and I can't wait to add some compost to my garden.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's too bad! I went into the Walmart around here for the first time in a couple years, and was shocked to notice that they had the reusable bags ready to be filled on the bag caddies... and little hooks to hook the hook on the top of their reusable bags into, just like at my supermarket.

Colorado's pretty progressive on this stuff, though.

DeniseT said...

Lucky duck. Ohio is NOT progressive.

Anonymous said...

I tend to place my bag on my groceries so that they will notice my bag. I find that Grocery Outlet will place two items in a bag and move on to the next if I'm not careful.