Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Geothermal savings and plastic grocery bags


It's still too early to get a final tally on the potential savings we're garnering from our new furnace, but the early results do look good. For both November and December we spent $200 less on home heating than in the same months last year. So, it looks like the early savings tally for the geothermal furnace is $400. Not too shabby.

The bad news is I'm up to 5 plastic grocery bags and it's only Jan. 8. So sad. But it would have been worse had I not paid $1 for a reusable bag at the local grocery store the other day. That saved me three bags right away. This week, I'm planning to make some reusable grocery bags from some vintage fabric I found at the thrift store. I'm hoping to make 6 paper-grocery-bag sized bags out of the fabric I have. We'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love my cloth grocery bags... they hold so much more!
I've bought the $1 bag to prevent using a plastic one... and I've also balanced 6 jars of peanut butter in my arms... they were on sale, but I only went in for 1!

DeniseT said...

I was really surprised by how much stuff the $1 store-branded cloth bag held. It also seems relatively sturdy, so hopefully it will last a long time. I'm still yearning to make some of my own though, just so I'm not sporting corporate logos all over town!