Monday, January 14, 2008

Second-hand babies and family pressure

As you know, our first little one will be arriving in April. Early on, the SO and I decided we'd buy as much as we could used and second hand. After all, kid stuff is expensive, but they grow so fast they can't even really use it for that long. Why spend the money?

We got a used crib and stroller, a large laundry basket full of second-hand onesies and such (all for less than $1 each), some play mats, and some free used toy boxes. So far, I think we've spent about $120, and we have just about everything we need. Only a few things left: a car seat, a crib mattress, and some Happy Heiny's-- they are the new fangled reusable diapers.

Yet, I'm getting a lot of pressure from family and friends to have a baby shower. They all want to buy us stuff. I've politely ducked most of this, but the pressure is mounting. I've been to showers before. It's a bunch of women sitting around in a circle watching some girl open presents. That's great for some people, but it makes me really uncomfortable. I've never been comfortable getting lots of gifts.

At first I dodged by agreeing to have a normal party for the people we know. But now, I'm not even sure I want to do that. But this seems to raise a strange reaction of anger and tears from people I know. I mean. Do people really like feeling obligated to show up on a Sunday afternoon with presents??? I'm still conflicted.

So conflicted that I partially relented. I went to Target and registered. But it's probably the weirdest registry anyone has ever seen: most everything costs less than $5, and it's all for odds and ends like pacifiers, bottles, etc. But, that's the stuff we need that I can't buy used. I feel like the biggest weirdo in the world. Of course, I haven't told anyone about the registry, because I'm still debating.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! It's funny how people feel a need to give something to show their love/care. I notice it all the time... especially with my in-laws.

Unfortunately, if you don't register and/or don't have a shower, you will be "showered" with an infinite number of newborn sized cutsie outfits. That will be wearable for MAYBE a month. IF you are lucky.

So the registry is a somewhat good idea, but I wouldn't publicize it as being for the party.

The Target idea is good...
other ideas might be to ask for donations to EITHER some fund that helps low income babies and mothers (you would have to research it) OR to the child's future educational needs (such as apprenticeship, college, vocational school, etc). People would probably like the second better, because it is for the child, not just in their honor... but I like the first idea a lot.

One more thought I heard... register for DIAPERS. Whether you are doing cloth or disposable, you can't ever have too many diapers.

Oh, and having the party AFTER the baby comes will likely cut down on cutsy newborn stuff, too. Plus, there is a REAL reason for the party, not just gifts.

That's a lot of rambling.. I hope it helps?

DeniseT said...

All great ideas. I decided to register because people have begun buying us the most ridiculous and useless gifts. Like knick knacks and decorative items. It's like people want to give something, but they're reluctant to give things they consider "boring" like bottles. But the boring stuff is what we need!
Ugh.